16-year old Kurtis Lee is already considered as a teen phenomenon. We still keep trying to copy his dance routines but unfortunately, we can't #MoveLikeKurtis. So, we sat and talked with this amazing and multi-talented young guy and definitely we can say that the future is yours Kurtis.
1) Hi Kurtis. How have you been?
I've been good. How have you been?
2) Tell us your story so far and describe a typical day of you.
My story... well I started dancing when I was 4 yrs old doing street dance. As I grew older I got into singing too.
A typical day for me... well that depends on the day. Monday to Friday I have college where I study dance and then most evenings I'm either doing dance classes or teaching other kids dance as well. At the weekend I dance and sing. That’s it, performing full time.
3) You recently released your single with The Lucky Guys ‘Happy Life’. What’s the story behind the track?
The song is an upbeat, feel-good song. It's meant to lift your spirits and make you feel good.
4) How was the recording and writing process with The Lucky Guys?
The song was written by the Lucky Guys and I was approached about doing the vocals to go on the track. We recorded the vocals at Konk Studios in North London where many famous artists have recorded like Adele. It was a great day and everyone was really pleased with what we had created at the end of the session.
5) What’s ‘Happy Life’ for you?
Happy life to me is being with friends or family and having a good time. It can be anything from a holiday overseas to just chilling at the local park with my friends.
6) We are in love with the video and its positive vibe. Do you have to share with us some funny behind-the-scenes stories?
The video was recorded at the beginning of Summer and all the people in the video were my friends from my performing arts school, I Got Soul. We had a great day and for lunch the record company supplied pizzas for everyone... I've never seen so much pizza before. There must have been 30 or 40 pizzas delivered and trust me... it all went... hahaha
7) You are only 16 and you are a great dancer! We keep trying to #MoveLikeKurtis but it’s not so easy. Give us some advice to copy the dancing routines.
Just keep trying, never give up and feel the music your vibing to. Everybody has a dance or two inside them... it's just about having the confidence to let it out.
8) Who are your favourite artists and bands? How do you incorporate their work in your sound and vocals?
I like a wide range of singers from current singers like Aitch and Stormy to older singers like Michael Jackson and Ne-yo. I also like a wide range of music...one minute I can being playing something old like James Brown or Nina Simone and then I'll be straight into something like Nirvana or Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I take all their different sounds and styles and try to incorporate them into my singing.
9) What’s next? Any plans for a school tour or an EP release?
You never know... I would love to get out there and start performing live for all you guys.
10) Do you have a special message for your fans?
First of all I want to thank everyone that has streamed the song so far or watched the video on Youtube. It means a lot to me that people are taking the time out to show their support. Keep strong and keep listening xx
11) Kurtis thank you very much for the interview.
No problem... thank you xx